Posted by the Charleston, SC Auto Accident Lawyers at Anderson & Schuster, Attorneys at Law, LLC. If you have been injured in a car, truck or motorcycle accident, our Charleston car accident attorneys are here to help. Give our attorneys a call today to discuss your auto accident case free of charge.
South Carolina traffic accidents can happen for a number of reasons. Below were the most common causes of car accidents in South Carolina in 2009, according to the SC Department of Public Safety's Traffic Collision Fact Book.
- Driver behavior was a contributing factor in 98,614 non-fatal auto collisions and the contributing factor in 708 fatal auto crashes in South Carolina.
- Roadways were a contributing factor in 943 non-fatal auto crashes and caused 6 of the fatal auto crashes that occurred during this time period.
- Non-motorists were a contributing factor in 79 fatal car crashes and 791 non-fatal South Carolina car crashes.
- Vehicle problems were a contributing factor in 14 fatal car accidents and 1,762 non-fatal car accidents.
- DUI is one of the most common causes of fatal traffic accidents. One person is killed every 23.2 hours in car accidents involving a driver with a BAC of 0.08 or higher.
- Disregard for road signs was the main cause of 30 fatal auto accidents and 1,933 injury-causing auto accidents.
- Driver inattention was the primary contributing factor in 20 fatal car wrecks and 2,479 injury-causing car wrecks.
- Driving too fast for road conditions caused 131 of the fatal auto accidents and 8,399 injury-causing crashes.
- Exceeding the speed limit was the primary factor in 36 fatal traffic accidents and 206 injury-causing traffic accidents.
- Failing to yield caused 6,762 injury inflicting crashes and 73 fatal crashes.
- Running off the road was responsible for 426 non-fatal auto crashes and 43 fatal crashes.
- Driving while fatigued or asleep led to 11 fatal car accidents and 279 injury-causing car accidents.
- Tailgating or following too closely caused 1,995 non-fatal auto crashes and 11 fatal auto crashes.
Other causes of South Carolina car accidents included improper turns; medical problems on the part of the driver; operating the vehicle too aggressively; over-steering; swerving to avoid objects; driving the wrong way; driving with obscured vision; improper lane changes; cell phone use or other wrongful acts.
Charleston, SC Traffic Accident Lawyers
Our car accident attorneys can help you if have been injured in a car, truck or motorcycle wreck. Please give our Attorneys a call today to speak directly with our auto accident lawyers free of charge. We will discuss your accident case with you free of charge. Our attorneys are here to represent those injured in auto accidents in Charleston, North Charleston, Mount Pleasant, Summerville, Goose Creek, Hanahan, James Island, West Ashley, Isle of Palms, Sullivans Island, Folly Beach, Johns Island, Ladson, Awendaw, McClellanville, Moncks Corner and across South Carolina.